Fire Chief, Deerfield Fire Department
Deerfield Township, Portage County, is actively seeking a Fire Chief. All resumes must be received by Friday, March 3rd 5pm.
Resumes can be received by mail to:
C/O Board of Trustees
1450 State Route 14
Deerfield, Ohio 44411
The Fire Chief position is responsible for all aspects of efficient and effective operations of the Deerfield Fire Department. The position is expected to work in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, other township employees, residents, and community partners to identify and resolve a wide range of varied issues within the Department and the community. The Fire Chief must demonstrate impeccable honesty and integrity both on and off the job.
This position is part-time and does not offer benefits.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and direct the preparation of the Department’s strategic plans, goals, and objectives for each organizational component, or unit of the Department.
- Prepare and administer Department annual budget; monitor Department expenditures, redefining Department goals and reallocating funding and related staffing as necessary.
- Administer operations improvement and maintenance of the fire station.
- Manage and evaluate Department staff including hiring, discipline, and discharge of employees.
- Establish department work rules and oversee and build department morale.
- Perform field inspections to monitor performance, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Allocate department staffing to department functions on the basis of skill, resources, job classification and budgetary limitations.
- Hear and adjudicate grievances.
- Research, monitor and approve major departmental purchases and equipment to achieve maximum operational efficiency and minimize costs in coordination with and the approval of the Township Board of Trustees.
- Prepare and up-date standards and long-range plans for the department on the basis agreed to township goals and objectives.
- Maintain current working knowledge of fire suppression and prevention as well as EMS and Emergency Management programs and technologies through participation in professional associations.
- Represent the department to the Board of Trustees during regularly scheduled and emergency meetings of the Board of Trustees when the subject matter involves the Deerfield Fire Department.
- For all operational areas managed, perform periodic reviews, and make recommendations to maximize public and employee safety.
- Review statistical reports and call trends and recommend appropriate risk reduction strategies to local businesses, organizations, residents, etc.
- Investigates formal complaints against the department.
- Responds to emergency incidents
- Oversee department recruitment practices and up-date as needed to meet changing department goals.
- Ensure that department performance and professional development objectives are met and implemented consistently.
- Carry out station visits and meet with station commanders to ensure consistent dissemination all Department procedures and information are understood.
- Mediate disputes and or differences between employees and/or members of the public.
- May act as Emergency Incident Commander.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Basic Job Requirements
- Fire Fighter Level I required
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic required.
- Ability to maintain valid Driver’s License required.
- Ability to operate in a Windows computer environment and effectively use word processing, spreadsheet and database programs required.
- Ability to maintain working knowledge of Hazardous-Material mitigation and operation procedures required.
- Knowledge of State and local Emergency medical system policies and procedures required.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, departmental rules, regulations and policies and related programs required.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions and is required.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and in good faith work with the Deerfield Township Board of Trustees to meet the goals of the fire department is required.
We are actively seeking a Fire Chief who is committed to growing the department both in moral and volume of active and quality department members.